Colin Krieger/The Packet
Two Columbus men are in custody and facing charges for their involvement in a Monday drive-by shooting near Stokes Beard Elementary in Columbus. Christopher “Sweetie” Armstrong, age 22, of 805 10th St. N., and Antonius Williams, 23, of 803 Spruce St., have each been charged with one count of shooting into an occupied dwelling, one count of drive by shooting and seven counts of aggravated assault after the pair allegedly opened fire on a home and several vehicles near 2515 6th Avenue North Monday around 11:15 a.m. Columbus Police were dispatched to the scene by E-911 operators seconds after witnesses said two black males opened fire from a passing Ford Explorer. The driver of the vehicle, “Sweetie” Armstrong, lost control as he was leaving the scene, crashing into the front lawn of a nearby home about a block away from the shooting.
Both miscreants fled on foot, but Armstrong was captured within minutes by quick-responding Columbus police officers. Armstrong was easily identified by officers, as he was already wanted on several outstanding warrants. [He had a few prior arrests – most notably for armed robbery in 2008 – but I’m not sure which of his other charges the active warrants were for. -CK] Armstrong surrendered without incident, and reportedly told officers he didn’t know Williams was planning on shooting anyone that day, simply saying the incident was the result of an argument over “some girl.”
Even before Armstrong had been caught, police on scene had immediately identified both Armstrong and Williams as the suspects. Police hunted Williams down over the next 24 hours to no avail. He did end up surrendering to officers at police headquarters late Tuesday afternoon. Both men appeared in front of Columbus Municipal Court Judge Marc Amos Wednesday, and their bonds were set at a total of $300,000.