BY THE PACKET
A Columbus couple said they are thankful to be alive after a house fire damaged most of their possessions in an East Columbus fire last week. Grover Richards, a local truck driver and snack vendor, told The Packet that his wife Amecia accidentally left a skillet cooking on the stove when she came home to make a sandwich for lunch.
The stove caught on fire first, and then the fire spread throughout the single story ranch-style home. Several Columbus Fire trucks arrived at the home at 608 North Browder St. shortly after 1:15 p.m. Wednesday, June 19, and quickly contained the inferno. Amecia Richards, who is a stylist at nearby Turning Heads Salon on Alabama Street, arrived at the home minutes after firefighters and immediately feared that her husband might have been in the home. Friends and family calmed her down until her husband Grover pulled up around 1:35 p.m. Grover sprinted from the end of the block and embraced his bride in the driveway of a neighbor’s home, telling her everything would be alright.
“I was much more worried about her than anything in the house,” Richards said. “It destroyed a lot, but I’m so grateful she was OK.”
The family lost most of their possessions in the blaze, and any donations would be appreciated. Please call 662-574-2756 if you would like to help.