This initiative will provide citizens the voluntary surrender of firearms while reducing gun violence. In partnership with the CPD, Community and Faith based organizations; the gun buy-back program will secure neutral locations throughout the city where individuals can surrender their firearms without any questions being asked.
Frequently Asked Questions
• Where are the locations? There are four locations within the City of Columbus: Sims Scott Park, Townsend Community Center, East Columbus gym and Wal-Mart parking lot.
• What are the times? The gun buy-back will take place on Monday, February 25, 2013, Tuesday, February 26, 2013 and Wednesday, February 27, 2013 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
• Is there a limit to how many firearms I can turn in? No. However, we reserve the right to limit the number of gift cards and the amount of cash an individual can receive, regardless of the amount of firearms the individual has surrendered.
• What happens if I decide to turn in a gun at the buy-back, then I decide I want to keep it? Once a firearm is surrendered at the gun buyback it becomes property of the Columbus Police Department. At which time, the firearm will not be returned.
• What happens if you run out of gift cards or money? The quantities of gift cards and money are limited and are subject to availability.
• Will you check for lost or stolen status of the weapons? If so, will you return to owner? Yes. All weapons will be checked for lost and/or stolen status. Every effort will be made to return lost and/or stolen firearms to the rightful owners.
• Can I turn in a gun for someone else? Yes. The gun buyback is completely anonymous and no questions will be asked.
• Is this a sting operation by the police? No. The gun buyback is not a sting. It is an anonymous process in which individuals can surrender their weapons, no questions asked. Law Enforcement officials will not be taking pictures of participants, nor will they be logging license plate numbers.
• How is this event being paid for? The event is being paid for by the City of Columbus, private and community donors.
• Can residence from outside the city turn in their weapons? Yes. Although the event is specifically geared for residence of the City of Columbus, residency will not be asked upon surrendering firearms.
• Who can I contact if I have a gun that I want to turn in after the event? In the event you are not able to attend the gun buyback event, you may contact the Columbus Police Department at 662-244-3528. However, the gun buyback program is the only way to receive a gift card or monies for firearms.
Chief of Police
What is the Columbus Police Department offering for my gun?
BB gun and air pistols — $20.00
Hand guns — $100.00
Rifles/Shotguns — $200.00
Assault Rifles — $300.00