During a sudden rainstorm on Friday afternoon, lightning hit the electrical box on a house at 50 Blevins-Young Road off of Ben Morgan and Spivey Road in North Columbus. The fire spread to the kitchen and attic, as well as the upstairs bedroom. District 2 Firefighters responded to the fire, and eventually had to use an axe to cut a hole into the second floor to help contain the fire that had spread to the house’s insulation. Columbus Firefighters responded to the scene to assist with the blaze as well.
The home belongs to Glenda and Avery Young, who live there with their daughter and granddaughter. When the lightning hit, Glenda and her granddaughter were in the house, and Avery got home as the firemen were breaking into the second floor. Also arriving on the scene were Avery’s sister, Mary, and several relatives and family friends. “I was in the middle of cooking.” said Mary. “I turned off the stove and rushed right over.”
Glenda responded to the situation well, she was able to convince firefighters to move a large frame of family photos out of the house and was very calm as she spoke to the press and emergency personnel. “It was a shock when it happened.” she said in an interview later. “I didn’t know what to do, I just reacted.”
The family is currently living in a hotel due to smoke and water damage. They do not know when they will be able to return home.
“We have contacted the Red Cross and we have insurance, so we’re good,” said Glenda. “Everything will be fine.”0